Dr. David Llewellyn conducts interdisciplinary research to identify new and potentially modifiable risk factors for neuropsychological dysfunction and dementia. By discovering behavioural, psychological, environmental, and biological antecedents of poor "brain health," his work identifies new opportunities for optimizing cognitive function across the lifespan. For example, he recently conducted the first study to identify that older adults exposed to passive smoke have poorer cognitive function (British Medical Journal, 2009). In 2009 he moved from the University of Cambridge to the Peninsula Medical School, University of Exeter.
- Evolution and Genetics
- Health Psychology
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Neuroscience, Psychophysiology
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Llewellyn, D. J., Lang, I. A., Langa, K. M., & Huppert, F. A. (2008). Cognitive function and psychological well-being: Findings from a population-based cohort. Age and Ageing, 37, 685-9.
- Llewellyn, D. J., Lang, I. A., Langa, K. M., & Melzer, D. (in press). Vitamin D and cognitive impairment in the elderly US population. Journals of Gerontology A: Biological and Medical Sciences.
- Llewellyn, D. J., Lang, I. A., Langa, K. M., Muniz-Terrera, G., Phillips, C. L., Cherubini, A., Ferrucci, L., & Melzer, D. (in press). Vitamin D and risk of cognitive decline in the elderly. Archives of Internal Medicine.
- Llewellyn, D. J., Lang, I. A., Langa, K. M., Naughton, F., & Matthews, F. E. (2009). Exposure to secondhand smoke and cognitive impairment in non-smokers: National cross sectional study with cotinine measurement. BMJ, 338, b462.
- Llewellyn, D. J., Lang, I. A., Xie, J., Huppert, F. A., Melzer, D., & Langa, K. M. (2008). Framingham Stroke Risk Profile and poor cognitive function: A population-based study. BMC Neurology, 8(12).
- Llewellyn, D. J., Langa, K. M., Freidland, R. P., & Lang, I. A. (in press). Serum albumin concentration and cognitive impairment in older persons. Current Alzheimer Research.
- Llewellyn, D. J., Langa, K. M., & Lang, I. A. (2009). Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration and cognitive impairment. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology, 22(3), 188-95.
David James Llewellyn
Peninsula College of Medicine
Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital
Exeter EX2 5DW
- Phone: +44 (0) 1392 726018